Review Rowdy -TweetPlot = The movie is setup between 1795 to 1806 (the pre – independence era), where the province of Raunakpur is under the command of a British Ruler, named John Clive (Lloyd Owen). To free the natives of Raunakpur from the undeserved ruling […]
Tag: aamir khan
Review Rowdy -TweetReview = After ROBOT 2.O, this one was the next highly anticipated movie of 2018. And, like the former, even this trailer is not up to the mark. The movie looks like a routine struggle of independence (of course from British Rulers), with […]
Plot = The movie is based on an aspiring singer residing at Baroda, named Insia, played by national – award winning actress Zaira Wasim. She is just 15 years old and writes her own original songs and sings them in school picnics or whenever her father remains out of home, on the tune of a Guitar, gifted by her mother, played by actress Meher Vij. Her father, actor Raj Arjun, is a dictator at home and keeps on abusing and assaulting Meher for trivial issues. After dealing with domestic violence and internal turmoil, Meher advises Zaira to follow her dream by making a video of her song and upload it on Youtube. For keeping her identity under wraps, Meher instructs Zaira to shoot the video by wearing a burkha. Then the movie is based on the journey of Zaira and how she becomes a singing sensation with the help of a flop music director Shakti Kumar, played by actor Aamir Khan.
Opinion = When Aamir Khan is associated with a project, you can expect a quality cinema. But, when expectation doesn’t match reality, you get a movie like Secret Superstar. Unfortunately, Aamir Khan could not repeat the magic of DANGAL here. There were rumors doing the rounds on social media that the film is based on Indian Idol Junior contestant Nahid Afrin. But, it is nowhere related to her. The first half of the movie solely relies on the performances of Zaira and her family, which is the only noble part of the movie. The problem starts in the second half with the interference of Aamir Khan and because of him the movie becomes preachy and an average state of affairs. The over-the-top performance of Aamir takes time to seep in your intellect. If I also believe that okay Shakti Kumar is a creep and pervert, but still Aamir has not done acting, but over – acting. You will get irritated by the portrayal of his character. It is in the last 45 minutes of the movie in which Aamir proves his acting prowess. In the rest of the movie, he is absurd and unbearable. There was only a section of people in the multiplex, who were sitting in the corner, who laughed on the stupid jokes mouthed by Aamir and rest all the patrons, I believe, were feeling the cringe of his presence. There are some highly evident lacuna (weaknesses) in the script, as listed below: –
- Aamir Khan calls Zaira for recording a song for him, after getting impressed with her singing on Youtube. Zaira reaches in the studio and without confirming whether she is the same singer (because her face was hidden under burkha in the video), without sitting with her for educating her about the tuning of the song, without testing her singing capability in front of professional microphones, without giving her the pauses and cues of the song, he directs her to start singing immediately. This is an assault on all the logical senses. All professional music directors might die after watching this sequence. Humble Advise for Aamir Khan – audience ko ch***ya samajhna band karo.
- A sardar news reporter runs repeated bulletins on his news channel about the latest updates and happenings on the youtube channel titled Secret Superstar. But in his last reporting presented in the movie, he is highly clueless that Zaira has already deleted the channel weeks ago and still he is seen quoting figures about its views and comments, which is hilarious and deplorable.
- In a sequence, singer Monali Thakur declines accepting the award and hands it over to Zaira. This sequence is highly filmy and is not what is expected from Aamir Khan Productions.
- With a population of 132 Crores, our country is blessed with innumerable singers, youtubers, music bands, etc. The way Secret Superstar channel gains momentum is hilarious and deplorable. Aisi movies dekhkar saare SEO aur SEM Managers ko career chhod dena chahiye.
- In the climax sequence, Meher suddenly starts revolting against her husband on the airport and her sudden outburst of emotion is not at all justified.
However, the movie definitely has its moments worth mentioning. The picturization of the song Tere Ishaq Da is beautiful. Also, the sequence where Zaira finds that her younger brother has tried to repair her broken laptop and the last scene of the movie where Zaira gives an acceptance speech on receiving the award are heart – wrenching and will bring tears to your eyes.
Performances = The hero of the movie is undoubtedly Zaira Wasim. She is really a secret superstar in the making. At the age of 16, If she is able to portray such diverse emotions, then definitely she can be considered as a superstar of tomorrow. Actress Meher Vij has surprised everyone with her performance. She might win an award for this movie. The internal turmoil of keeping the family connected, even after suffering verbal and physical abuse from the husband on a daily basis, Meher has excelled in her performance. Actor Raj Arjun has been able to create the right amount of tension in between the audience, whenever he appears on screen. I have mentioned a lot about Aamir’s performance in my opinion section above.
Direction & Other Technical Aspects = Director Advait Chandan had a noble plot at his disposal, but unfortunately his execution is just above average in the first half and average in the second half. Since, it is Advait’s first project; we can give him a benefit-of-doubt. In a movie, where the central theme is music, it is unfortunate that apart from Main Kaun Hoon, all the songs of the movie are just average and forgettable.
Rowdy Rating = 3.5 / 5